I finally bought myself a dremel, and today I got to work on the ABS helmet, and I must say that I made quite a progress today.
As you all know, the ABS helmet has a lot of soft details compared to the fiberglass..this really bugged me, so I (together with some help from a professional sculptor, my mother) sculpted in new details for the nose and mouth area. The pictures below show the before and after results (it still needs some work), but it definitely looks a lot more sharper than the original unmodified ABS!
I also opened the back halve a bit, and now I can manage to squeeze my head in! AND NOW IT FITS! My ears barely fit within the opening, so I had to implement the credit card technique to squeeze my ears in. It’s a really really tight fit, and when I try to remove the credit cards, it feels like my ears are to fall off…so I just leave them together with the squeezed ears and put the front helmet halve on. Works just fine! But when I smile (sorry, I can’t hold it when I look at myself in the mirror) it hurts because somehow the skin on my face want to stretch in the wrong way which makes my ears want to follow. So there you go, some happy painful tears.
Here are some pictures my room mates tried to take of me having the helmet on. They took 7 pictures, and none of them were any good – but here are two of the pictures anyway:
I still have to make the registration keys for the neck bolts, and find a way to safely secure the two halves together. Everything’s a bit dispositioned at the moment, but I am looking forward to work more on the helmet! Stay tuned for future updates and more tears!